Cup Pain for First Team - Reserves, Ladies and Masters Progress

15 June 2013 Written by HRSC

A harsh penalty, a dubious offside decision and appalling weather conditions all featured in Sunday’s match at Curtin University, as Hamersley went out of the MySolar Sunday Cup on penalties.

There was better news however for Hamersley Reserves who defeated their Curtin counterparts 4-0. Hamersley Ladies recorded a fantastic result, knocking out State League Div 1 side Curtin Ladies 4-3. Hamersley Masters also knocked off top opposition, Inglewood United, who boast a few ex pro's and state league players. Scores were locked at 1-1 with Rovers triumphing on penalties for the second time over Inglewood in two years. Hamersley Metro Div 1 side went out to tough opposition, Black Stars, 2-1.

Curtin Univertsity 1-1 Hamersley Rovers AET (Curtin win 3-2 on penalties)

The first half started slowly, and it wasn’t until 22 minutes that the first real chance of any note was fashioned by either side, Declan Peters delivering a top class through ball with the outside of his right foot for Daniel Fowler, who strode confidently past the offside trap but whose shot was blocked by the outrushing keeper.

On 30 minutes Curtin had the ball in the net, but the effort was correctly ruled out for an obvious ‘1930s Football’ barging of Ian Norgrove into his own net by the leaping striker, after the Hamersley keeper had claimed a cross with two hands.

In the last minute of the half a pacey Curtin forward broke through the Hamersley ranks and pulled back for his partner to unleash a shot on goal from fairly close range, but the effort was well blocked by Ben Ashton.

It was a half of few chances and coach Brad Brooks would have without doubt asked his players to raise the intensity in the second half.

They did so, and created a number of chances as they raised the level after the break, though chances were being created against them also as the home team worked to keep in touch.

The opening goal of the game came in the 76th minute, following mounting pressure from Hamersley. A number of strong challenges seemed to rattle and unsettle Curtin and a passage of Hamersley possession eventually found Dan Guggisberg at the far side of the box, who drilled his effort past the keeper and celebrated his goal with passion.

Hamersley had the goal they needed to see them through, and as the game entered the last 10 minutes and the heavens opened, it became a scrappy affair that simply needed seeing out. The visitors looked likely to do that, though in the last minute of the game a crowded penalty area from a corner saw a penalty given for what only the referee himself could have seen. After a long delay, the kick was narrowly converted off the diving frame of Norgrove.

As the rain battered down in extra time both sides rolled up their sleeves and gave it their all.

The first half of extra time saw Norgrove pull out an unbelievable stop, as a long range goal bound effort from Curtin, which looked to be headed for the top corner all the way, was finger tipped over the bar by the fully stretched Hamersley No.1.

The second half brought about a further controversial moment, as good Hamersley possession and play saw Ryan Sochanik beat the offside trap and run through to dispatch what would surely be a winner. The referee gave the goal, but then turned to his linesman, who had raised his flag, and reversed his decision after consultation with the man on the line. It appeared to be a harsh decision, and it ultimately meant that the game would go into penalties.

After 10 penalties and misses from both sides in blustery conditions, Curtin eventually ran out 3-2 winners on spot kicks.

The result was a tough one on Hamersley, who, despite an uncharacteristically flat performance, will feel that they did enough to win the fixture in both normal and extra time.

Brad Brook’s men will have to put this one behind them quickly and get back to winning ways against North Perth in their next fixture.

Curtin University Reserves 0:4 Hamersley Rovers Reserves 

Two screamers from Chris MacMichael and two neatly taken chances from Michael Garcia saw the Ressies progress to the next round in the earlier fixture.

The Ressies started slowly and, though they were rarely troubled at the back, struggled to find the passing game that has brought them success over recent weeks.

The deadlock was broken by a piece of clever skill by Garcia, as the young striker turned neatly, beating a number of defenders around him, and slipped the ball past the advancing Curtin keeper.

A Garcia free kick came back of the inside of the post moments later, though the chance to go two goals up was wasted as a Rovers player was caught offside from a follow up that also hit the post, when in truth the ball should have been put away first time.

Hamersley needed another to be comfortable, and it came courtesy of a wonder volley from Chris MacMichael who, as the ball sat up nicely to hit, unleashed a driving effort from 35 yards that was in all the way.

McMichael got his second from a planted free kick midway during the second half, and later still Garcia was given the chance for his brace after a nicely weighted ball sent him one on one with the keeper, the striker slipping the ball home in the same fashion as for his first.

The result required hard work and was not always one for the spectator, but it was nonetheless a convincing win that sees Tel Stupple’s men through to the next round and up for the visit to North Perth next weekend.    


Share This Page