Rover Show Fight but Leave Empty Handed

05 August 2013 Written by HRSC

Kingsley 3: 2 Hamersley Rovers

A tight contest on bright Sunday at Chichester Park saw Hamersley drop points against Kingsley.

Hamersley, under the guidance of newly appointed first team coach Tel Stupple, started with intent and created a number of chances in the opening few minutes, a shot sailing just over and a lethally struck Ryan ‘Razor’ Sochanik volley being ruled out for a touch and go offside minutes later.

A series of corners for the visitors continued to put Kingsley under pressure, with the home goalkeeper being forced to punch to safety on a number of occasions.

On 20 minutes great work from Dan Scudder and Dan Fowler down the right set up a chance for Shaun Gibbons, whose quick touches in heavy traffic in the box neatly got the ball out of his feet and bound for the bottom corner, a Kingsley defender just getting enough of a deflection on the effort to see it past the post.

The action was all in the Kingsley half and it seemed that a goal was sure to be on its way for Hamersley, when good play on 28 minutes by a Kingsley winger saw him cut inside and unleash a strike that clipped off the top of the bar.

It was the first real threat from the home team, but it was the start of a sequence of play that saw a penalty given against Hamersley on the half hour mark, as the referee harshly judged a Kingsley player to have been pushed following a throw in. To the disbelief of the incredulous Rovers players the spot kick stood, and the Kingsley taker converted with force.

As the half progressed Rovers continued to work inside the Kingsley half of the pitch, but were troubled again on 41 minutes as a series of stumbling passes from a number of Kingsley players saw the ball worm its way into the box and the eventual shot from close range was well saved by Ian Norgrove.

On 43 minutes Hamersley nearly levelled the affair, when a trademark Matty Emery long throw was neatly flicked on by Fowler, and Asa Nicholson did everything right to get the ball on target though was denied somehow by the Kingsley goalkeeper, after the ball seemed to have squirmed in underneath him.

Hamersley’s deficit was increased early in the second half by a simple flick on from a Kingsley striker to his teammate, who seemed to have work to do but managed to get between two defenders to get a toe to the ball and poke it past Norgrove.

The two-goal margin was reduced quickly though, as good play from Nicholson eventually found Gibbons in the box, the Yorkshireman finishing with a composed effort on his left that found the goalkeeper rooted to his spot on 55 minutes.

And two minutes later Hamersley were on level terms, after a fierce cross come shot by Emery caught the goalkeeper totally unaware of his surroundings and planted itself firmly in the top corner.

Hamersley were buoyed by the equalising goal and now had a platform to go on and win the game, though the visitors were undone again minutes later as a skilful run from a Kingsley winger took the ball into the box and crossed to a team mate, who only had to hit the target to score from such close range.

There was still plenty in the game for Rovers, and the visitors continued to press, Nicholson and substitute Steve Kruit both making the keeper work with shots from just outside the box.

Hamersley’s best chance to get back into the game came on 83 minutes, as a silky run from Nicholson saw him stride past several defenders and strike well with his left foot, though the effort rose just over the bar.

A Ben Matthews throw found its way across the face of goal in the dying moments, but none were able to get that final touch required to get the ball home.

The result sees Hamersley again come away empty handed from a game in which they had good periods of play, and the team will now look to better this result in the next round at home to Fremantle Croatia.


Kingsley Reserves 4:2 Hamersley Rovers

The earlier fixture saw Hamersley Reserves working hard but ultimately leaving themselves with too much to do against an equally diligent Kingsley Reserves.

The game saw Ian Worley take charge of the Ressies, and there was plenty of graft for both him and the other defenders to undertake in the early stages, as Kingsley kept the ball well and pegged the Rovers players back, a Stuart Simmons free kick that went over being the visitors’ only chance of note early on.

On 20 minutes the visitors were behind, after an under hit back pass forced Dave Wood to commit to a challenge that saw the striker knock the ball past him and take a tumble. The contact may have been slight but it looked like a penalty and was duly converted to the unfortunate Wood’s left hand side.

Hamersley responded with good pressure through a number of in swinging corners that nearly found their way into the net and caused confusion amongst the Kingsley defence, though a quick break away from one of these required an excellent recovery tackle from the experienced Paul Broom, who enjoyed a fine game at fullback.

On 36 minutes some individual brilliance from Daniel Malatesta saw him beat two players and fire in a great shot, that only just went over the bar.

Malatesta was involved again on 41 minutes, after a determined Simmons break away was slipped across to him in the box, and there would have been no surprises if a penalty had been given for the clumsy challenge that prevented the wide man from getting his effort into the back of the net.

The visitors continued to press and a Chris MacMichael free kick put further pressure on the Kingsley defence, though a break away from Kingsley doubled their lead as a striker broke free to poke his effort past Wood and into the Hamersley goal.

A penalty for Rovers give them a boost on the stroke of half time, as a long clearance from Wood was pressured by Malatesta and resulted in the defender being forced to concede the foul. Malatesta got himself up to take it, and an accomplished finish saw the young midfielder back on the scoresheet and his side with everything to play for at half time.

However, the deficit was again extended to two in the second half as Rovers failed to clear adequately and the Kingsley striker raced away to lob Wood from close distance, though the big Scot was unlucky to see his finger tipped effort to save still go in off the post.

The visitors didn’t lie down though, and were back in it again with a goal on 71 minutes, MacMichael finishing off after another corner that caused problems for the home teams defence.

The margin was again increased on 75 minutes however, as a fantastic punched clearance from Wood fell to a Kingsley player, who had lots to do but buried his strike into the top corner.

Again Rovers worked to get back into the game, and a great burst from Simmons saw him round the keeper and be cynically taken down outside the box. The goalkeeper was lucky to remain on the pitch after a clear professional foul only saw him receive yellow, and the resultant free kick failed to cause trouble.

The ressies can reflect on another hardworking performance, though will look to ensure that they avoid letting the game get away from them as they head into the next round.                      


Share This Page